1. Revlon ColorStay Foundation - If you’re looking for a foundation that’s long-wearing, has great coverage, and feels weightless, Revlon ColorStay is just the thing! Not only is this foundation available in tons of shades (20!), but it’s also avaiable in two formulas: dry/normal and combination/oily, making it suitible for pretty well every skin type and tone.
2. L’Oreal Telescopic Shocking Extensions Mascara - I use this as my base mascara to separate and lengthen my lashes before going in with a volumizing mascar.a (This mascara could easily be worn on it’s own, but I’m all about BIG, dramatic lashes, so I like to top it with another mascara for added volume.) This mascara also has one of the tiniest wands I’ve come across at the drugstore, making it perfect for getting as close as possible to the lash line without getting mascara on your eyelid.
3. Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Anti-Chip Top Coat - If you’re like me and always decide to paint your nails when you’re moments from heading out the door, then you need this top coat in your life — top any nail polish with it, and it will be dry to the touch within a minute. The icing on the cake: this top coat will also help extend the wear of your polish with it’s anti-chip properties.
4. Hard Candy So Baked Bronzer in ‘Tiki’ – I have no idea why this is called a bronzer, as it’s without a shadow of a doubt a highlight. In any event, as a highlight, this ‘bronzer’ works beautifully! It’s finely milled, has just the right amount of pigmentation, and goes on shimmery, not sparkly. This last point is important to me, as my goal is to look naturally radiant, not like I just came from a dance competition. This highlight is fairly similar to Mary-Lou Manizer from The Balm.
5. Revlon Super Lustrous Creme Lipstick in ‘Primrose’ – I love the formula of these lipsticks — it’s hydrating, comfortable to wear, and the colour payoff is incredible! I also find these lipsticks don’t leave any residue at the opening of the mouth when wearing off, as so many other drugstore lipsticks do. My favourite shade at the moment is Primrose. I’m quite fair-skinned and always struggle when trying to find a pale pink shade that won’t wash me out, but Primrose is a perfect fit. Another problem I’ve run into when searching for pale pink lipstick shades is that they make my teeth appear yellow. As a cool-toned pink, Primrose doesn’t have this effect.
6. Wet ‘n’ Wild H2O Proof Liquid Eyeliner - H20 proof, indeed! As with the Make Up Forever Aqua Liners, this liquid liner does. not. move. making it ideal for allergy season and withstanding sweat and greasy sunscreen in the summer. Wet ‘n’ Wild doesn’t have the colour or finish selection that MUFE does, but if you’re looking for a inexpensive, heavy-duty waterproof liquid eyeliner in a neutral shade, Wet ‘n’ Wild’s H20 Proof Liquid Eyeliner is a good substitute.
7. L’Oreal EverStyle Alcohol-Free Volume Boosting Mousse – Though I love my styling products from The Drybar, my wallet needs a break from time to time. This mousse from L’Oreal is a wonderul drugstore alternative. As with the Drybar mousse, it smells fantastic and gives my hair lots of body while keeping it feeling silky and residue-free. The added bonus of the L’Oreal mousse is that it’s alcohol free. As a dry, sensitive-skinned girl, my scalp gets quite irritated when I’m constantly styling my hair with products that contain drying alcohols. L’Oreal’s alcohol-free mousse allows me to give my scalp a break from harsh drying agents without having to compromise my style.
8. Kiss Ever EZ Lashes - These lashes add the perfect amount of length and volume without making it obvious that you’re wearing falsies. The ultra-thin band further aids in giving the lashes a natural appearance and makes for an effortless application.
9. Rimmel Match Perfection 2-in-1 Concealer and Highlighter - This is hands down my favourite drugstore concealer. It provides full coverage without feeling heavy or cakey and doesn’t crease. The only thing I’m not crazy about is the applicator. Instead of using the brush that’s on the tip of the tube, I dispense the product onto my finger, dot it on my under eye area and T-zone, then blend it out with my Beauty Blender.
10. L’Oreal True Match Super-Blendable Powder – This has been a favourite of mine since high school! The micro-fine powder blends into the skin beautifully and contains pearl pigments to enhance your skin’s tone for a flawless, even-toned complexion. When applied with the built-in applicator sponge, the powder provides almost full coverage, which I lovvve for days when I’m in a rush and don’t have time to apply foundation. On days when I do wear foundation and require less coverage, I apply the powder with a fluffy powder brush instead.
What are your current drugstore favourites? Share in the comment section below, I’m always looking for new items to try!
As written by Lauren Wilson